Jefferson County residents may apply for a FREE TEMPORARY Jefferson County Library Cooperative library card using the form below. Once you have successfully registered, you will receive an email with your temporary card number. This temporary card may only be used to access online resources from the Library in the Forest home page.
Patrons may pickup their permanent card by visiting the Circulation desk in the library lobby during normal business hours. Patrons age 15 and older must present a valid driver’s license with current address or a form a government-issued non-driver’s ID, along with verification of current address (i.e. lease agreement, bill statement, etc.) Be sure to bring appropriate identification to confirm your home address when picking up your card. Only a permanent library card may be used to reserve materials online through the JCLC online database:
- Databases: Magazine, newspaper and journal articles from online databases.
- Downloads: Audiobooks, eBooks, movies and more!
- Material Holds: Click HERE for instructions to reserve materials and schedule Curbside Pickup.
- Your library card is good at any public library in Jefferson County, Alabama. It is free to all residents of Jefferson County, and available to non-residents for a non-refundable annual fee.
- Your library card is for your own personal use. You are responsible for all materials borrowed on the card. Treat your library card as you would a credit card. Report a lost or stolen card immediately to prevent unauthorized use.
- The library charges fines for materials kept past the due date, and reserves the right to refuse service until overdue materials are returned or account balances are paid.
- The library will attempt to notify you of overdue materials by mail, phone or email.
- Please report changes of name, address, phone number and/or email address as soon as possible.
My library card is about to expire. How can I renew?
Please call 205.978.0155. Your library membership provides:
- Free access to the collections of all 40 of the Jefferson County Libraries
- Programs and events for children, teens and adults
- Use of library computers
- Free computer classes
- Online databases and research resources
- Downloadable audio and eBooks
Who Can Get a Card?
If you live in Jefferson County you qualify for a library card, free of charge. Patrons over the age of 15 must provide either a driver’s license with current address or a form of government issued photo ID. You must have some way of verifying your current address (such as a piece of mail, lease agreement, checkbook, billing statement, etc.)
Children under the age of 15 must have a parent or legal guardian sign a responsibility statement. Parent must provide verification of current address as described above.
Live Out of County?
Patrons may purchase cards for an annual fee of $50. These cards are issued in the applicant’s name, but may be used by that person’s entire family.
Books, audiobooks, playaways (self-playing audiobooks), NOOKs and music CDs may be checked out for 3 weeks. DVDs, Blu-Rays, and HotSpots check out for 7 days. You may have up to 150 items checked out at a time.
Materials from other JCLC libraries can be requested by patrons for pick up at the Vestavia Hills Library in the Forest. These requests can be made online by visiting the Encore Catalog or by calling 205.978.0155.
Books, audiobooks, CDs and DVDs may be checked out and returned to any public library branch in Jefferson County unless otherwise stated. If you are returning materials to the Vestavia Hills Library in the Forest, please take advantage of our quick access exterior return slots located near the main entrance
Fines for overdue books, audiobooks,playaways (self-playing audiobooks), and music CDs are $0.25 per day. Fines for DVDs, Blu-rays and NOOKs are $1.00 per day. Hotspots are $5.00 per day.
You will be sent an overdue notice for any library materials not returned on time. If the late charges are not paid when overdue materials are returned, those charges will be billed to your card for payment later. Late charges may be paid at any library or online.
Lost/Stolen Library Card
Please report lost or stolen cards to the library immediately, as you are responsible for all items checked out on your card.
Any non-digital item checked out at a JCLC location will be renewed automatically at the end of its lending period, with the following exceptions:
- Another patron places a reserve on that item
- The item has reached its maximum number of renewals (2 for most items)
- Your account has accrued $5.01 or more in fines
- If the item is not renewable
- Your account activity has been blocked
- The item is an eBook (digital item)
You may also renew items in person, online by clicking the “Renew Online” button below or by calling 205.226.3790 (anytime) or by calling 205.978.0155 during normal library hours. Be sure to have your library card available. All items can be renewed twice unless another patron has the item on hold.
You will be notified by the courtesy email notice that your item has been automatically renewed. If you opted to not receive courtesy email notices, you will not be notified. You will be alerted with the standard notice, however, when the item is overdue.
Interlibrary loan (ILL) acquires books, photocopies of non-circulating materials (such as magazine articles), and government publications not already owned by the public libraries of Jefferson County.
ILL request forms may be submitted in person at any public library in Jefferson County or online. To submit an ILL request online, go to WorldCat Discovery and search for your desired title. After locating your selection, click on the ILL icon and fill out the online form to process your ILL request. For additional information, please visit www.jclc.org.
The information required by patrons to get a library card is protected by the Library Patron Confidentiality Act:
All library patron information is confidential. Employees must, therefore, treat all patron matters accordingly as stated by the Privacy Act (Code of Alabama 41-8-10). No patron information, including home address, phone number, and materials checked out, may be revealed to anyone, except by the patron him or herself, with proper identification. The content of patron records may not be disclosed to anyone except under subpoena. Employees will be subject to appropriate disciplinary action, up to and including dismissal, for improperly revealing information of a confidential nature. (Code of Alabama 41-8-10)