The Library Board of Trustees met recently and, following extensive discussions regarding the opening of the library, have elected to remain closed. Reopening the library will be discussed again at the next regular BOT meeting scheduled for October 28, 2020.
The Library in the Forest building is closed, but the staff is still working hard for our patrons!
- Check out digital resources, available 24/7! Our wide range of digital resources are accessible from home using your library card — including eBooks, eAudiobooks, streaming movies, online databases and more. Digital resources are available from our home page or by visiting the Database Descriptions page. Having trouble accessing digital offerings? Call 205.978.0155 or get help from our librarians at Drop Us a Line. Don’t forget to sign up for email updates to have the latest news from the library delivered to your inbox.
- Curbside service continues with pick-ups available daily from 10am to 6pm, Monday through Saturday. Click here to reserve materials online or call 205.978.0155.
- Remote lockers at Liberty Pharmacy are open. Click here to reserve materials online or call 205.978.0155.
- Book drops are open. Please allow up to 7 days for your account to update, as all materials are quarantined prior to check-in. Fines for materials that were originally due between March 15 and June 1, 2020 have been waived.
- Chat LIVE! with librarians! A new service is launching the first week of September – Li(VE)brarians – where patrons can utilize Skype to interact live with library staff to receive one-on-one reference, reader’s advisory assistance and technology instruction. Click here to access department links to Skype with LI(VE)brarians.
- Also new in September – Virtual Bookshelf Hot Reads! – featuring some of the most popular current books, along with a link to reserve these Hot Reads!
Why is the library still closed?
- Minor renovations. Beginning October 1, 2020, the library is scheduled to undergo minor renovations, including carpet replacement, which will require the removal of all furniture and bookshelves.
- Staffing concerns. Compared to other local libraries, the Library in the Forest has a relatively small staff (32 employees) but have had three COVID-19 cases in the last two months. If directly exposed, multiple staff members would be required to self-quarantine for a minimum of 14 days and the library would not have sufficient staff to cover open departments.
- After school library use. A significant number of students typically use the library on a daily basis, especially on weekday afternoons. Due to capacity limitations, the library would not be able to accommodate the students that previously spent their afternoons at the library.
- Case numbers. For the safety of the library staff and patrons, the BOT is continuing to monitor the number of COVID-19 cases in Jefferson County and will consider reopening only after a steady decline in cases over a 14-day period.
Frequently Asked Questions
I don’t have a library card. Can I get one?
My library card is about to expire. How can I renew?
All accounts nearing their expiration dates in March have been renewed until June 1 of this year. After June 1, you will need to visit the library. Renewed library cards may only be used for check out of digital offerings and may not be used for physical materials until after the library reopens.
What if my items are due? Will I accrue late fees?
Late fees were not charged for materials that were originally due between March 15 and June 1, 2020. Materials due after June 1 will be assessed late fees if they are overdue.
Can I drop off my materials in book drops?
Yes! Book drops are open. Please allow up to 7 days for your account to update, as all materials are quarantined prior to check-in.
Can I place a hold for materials to be picked up?
Yes. Hold items are available for pickup utilizing Curbside Pickup or the remote lockers at Liberty Pharmacy. Be sure to reserve materials online or by calling 205.978.0155 ext. 2 at least 24 hours prior to pick-up.
I have a question. Is there anyone who can help me?
I reserved a meeting room. What is the status?
All meeting rooms are closed and events have been cancelled while the library is closed. If you have any questions, please contact Loraine Ward-Ryce at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 205.978.0162.
I have a passport appointment. What is the status?
All passport appointments have been cancelled while the library is closed. Appointments will be rescheduled following the reopening of the library. If you have any questions, please call 205.978.3683.
I have an appointment to have an exam proctored at the library. What should I do?
All proctoring appointments have been cancelled while the library is closed and will be rescheduled following the reopening of the library. If you have any questions, please contact Loraine Ward-Ryce at email@example.com or call 205.978.0162.