Library in the Forest staff have been closely monitoring the health recommendations issued by local, state and national health agencies. In light of these recommendations, the library building is closed and will remain until further notice. We miss our patrons and look forward to serving you soon!
Important Dates & Announcements
- Book drops will open May 26, 2020! Please allow up to 7 days for your account to update, as all materials will be quarantined prior to check-in. Note: Fines for materials that were originally due between March 15 and June 1, 2020 have been waived.
- Curbside service will resume June 1. Pick-up will be available daily from 10am to 6pm, Monday through Saturday.
- Remote lockers at Liberty Pharmacy opening June 1.
- Libraries are multi-use, high-traffic spaces that requires special consideration for the health and safety of staff and patrons. As such, the Library in the Forest building will remain closed until further notice.
Access the Library’s Digital Resources 24/7
Discover our wide range of digital resources that may be accessed from home with your library card — including eBooks, eAudiobooks, streaming movies, online databases and more. Digital resources are available from our home page or by visiting the Database Descriptions page. Having trouble accessing digital offerings? Call 205.978.0155 or get help from our librarians at Drop Us a Line. Don’t forget to sign up for email updates for the latest news from the library to be delivered to your inbox.
Frequently Asked Questions
I don’t have a library card. Can I get one?
Yes! Jefferson County residents may register for a temporary library eCard. To register, click here to complete the JCLC eCard Registration Form online. You will receive a library card number that can immediately be used to access Overdrive ebooks and downloadable audiobooks, databases and to place reserves on physical items.
In addition to the online resources available through JCLC, the Library in the Forest provides additional resources that are accessible by Vestavia Hills residents only. These include Universal Class, Kanopy and Hoopla. To utilize these resources, library staff must update your JCLC eCard. Complete and submit the form below to update your card for access to Library in the Forest resources.
Your temporary card will be valid until June 15, 2020. After this date, you will need to upgrade to a full-use library card to continue accessing our digital resources and to borrow physical materials from the library. To upgrade, visit the Library in the Forest and present your eCard number, a photo ID and proof of Vestavia Hills residency (utility bill, lease agreement, etc.).
My library card is about to expire. How can I renew?
All accounts nearing their expiration dates in March have been renewed until June 1 of this year. After June 1, you will need to visit the library. Renewed library cards may only be used for check out of digital offerings and may not be used for physical materials until after the library reopens.
What if my items are due? Will I accrue late fees?
No. The due date for all checked-out circulating materials, including hot spots, has been automatically extended. No late fees should accrue on materials that were originally due between March 15 and June 1, 2020.
Can I drop off my materials in book drops?
Book drops will reopen Tuesday, May 26, 2020. Please allow up to 7 days for your account to update, as all materials will be quarantined prior to check-in.
Can I place a hold for materials to be picked up?
Yes. Hold items will be available for pickup utilizing Curbside Pickup beginning June 1, 2020. You may reserve materials (books, magazines, DVDs and more) at least 24 hours prior to pick-up online or by calling 205.978.0155 ext. 2. Please limit requests to a maximum of five (5) items.
What if some of my holds are ready for pick up?
Holds that are listed as ready for pick-up will be held at the library until we reopen. Please disregard the pick-up by date listed in your account.
I have a question. Is there anyone who can help me?
I reserved a meeting room. What is the status?
All meeting rooms are closed and events have been cancelled while the library is closed. If you have any questions, please contact Loraine Ward-Ryce at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 205.978.0162.
I have a passport appointment. What is the status?
All passport appointments have been cancelled while the library is closed. Appointments will be rescheduled following the reopening of the library. If you have any questions, please call 205.978.3683.
I have an appointment to have an exam proctored at the library. What should I do?
All proctoring appointments have been cancelled while the library is closed and will be rescheduled following the reopening of the library. If you have any questions, please contact Loraine Ward-Ryce at email@example.com or call 205.978.0162.
What Can You Do?
Keep Yourself and Your Community Healthy
- Cover your mouth with a tissue or your upper sleeve when coughing or sneezing.
- Discard used tissues immediately.
- Wash your hands often for at least 20 seconds with soap and water or use hand sanitizer that is 60-90% alcohol-based.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth with unwashed hands.
- Practice social distancing. Try to keep an optimal six-foot distance from other people.
- Stay home if you are not feeling well or experiencing flu-like symptoms.
- Centers for Disease Control & Prevention
- Alabama Department of Health
- Jefferson County Department of Health: The Jefferson County Health Department has developed an Operations Dashboard to provide current Alabama data for COVID-19 cases (data from ADPH). Click on a county in the map for the confirmed number of cases. The dashboard also contains CDC national data for comparison.
- Vestavia Hills City Schools Parent Information